January 2, 2013

Windows 8 won’t boot after installing AVG


DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED (mrxsmb20.sys)
Today my friend ask me to take a look on his computer a Windows 8 operating system and won’t load the OS. Windows 8 won’t boot after installing AVG security software. Here’s the scenario the computer is completely dead after a few seconds, it loads into a blue screen DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED (mrxsmb20.sys) that is the message. I have no idea what happened he told me that he installed AVG security software turn the computer off overnight and the next day it won’t load. I asked him if the


Windows update is on? He said “yes it’s on” Oh well looks like troubleshooting this issue might get difficult I warned him that if all else fails I’ll format his computer. 


Search the error on Microsoft  and the suggestions are

1.       Download and Install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows update
2.       Scan your computer for computer viruses
3.       Check for Hard disk error

Option 1 and 2 is not available since computer won’t load with Windows but I search MS for the system file (mrxsmb20.sys) MRXSMB component. “File becomes corrupted when you try to overwrite the file while it is opened by another user on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. “ The file is interesting maybe my friend is running Windows update and at the same time AVG is installing or another user is logged on to the system.  The first thing that I did is to restore the computer to its earlier state. Running System Restore won’t help no sign of Windows 8 loading to the desktop. I also run SFC verification on command prompt hoping that would fix the issue but still not working. Hopeless and thinking to give up and just run a recovery I try to do the same on my computer run Windows update first. It takes ages since I don’t run and install updates . After the update my computer is acting weird takes time to load and having a hard time logging in to the desktop, Good thing I created a restore point to get my computer back. It could be the Windows update is causing the issue a bug maybe or just some incompatible programs on the system. Right now I’m running system recovery on the system and will inform my friend to turn off the update and install the AVG security software.



2 comments:

  1. Curious if you ever resolved this as I am having the exact same issue as we speak. I've been having issues with my computer for a while now. Somehow my entire Windows program was hijacked and another version has overridden my system causing me to not be able to use any of the internal troubleshooting tools such as chkdsk, sfc /scannow, system restore, etc. It pretends to be running the tools then delivers your system various messages such as, no errors found, system is perfectly ok, it cannot execute any repairs or fixes see the cbs log, or system restore did not work properly followed by a message (once in the windows environment again) that says system restore successfully restored your system. The last one is very weird bc it does revert back to an earlier state, but it doesn't revert back to original state and of course the conflicting messages are a big red flag. I can't access the internet properly because it has somehow created restrictions and/or overlays that prevent me from seeing websites in their "real" state or preventing me from downloading repair tools correctly (it will either completely block or it hides or modifies the files so that they do not work properly although they appear to be working fine. Such as Malwarebytes, HijackThis, FileAlyzer, etc. You get my point. I ran a Tweaking.com Windows Repair All file which seemed to help a little, but it is still not a legit version of Windows and the Internet issues still remain. But, I just tried to get on my computer, and it is giving me the same message/issue that you mentioned in your post. Another thing worth mentioning is that my laptop doesn't have a cd or dvd drive so I cannot just grab the cd and start over. I am at a loss, and I am freaking out because I am a graphic designer, and I have a MOUNTAIN of work and files on this computer some (a lot actually) which I have not yet backed up to a cloud or alternative drive so I am desperate to repair this PC rather than just buy another or do a Factory reset which I am not sure would work anyway nor do I know how to do without the CD drive. I assume I would have to use a usb or something. Everything I attach to the computer becomes corrupted though. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance either way. Brandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that't to bad man. I'm pretty sure update cause the issue. I just run a recovery on the computer. I guess you should create a partition on your system to back up your files.

      Delete